July 27, 2026

From Yemen to Brazil to Ethiopia: My Journey into Single Origin Coffee

 

There's a difference between knowing a concept and experiencing it.

I learned about single origin coffee last year, when my Professor, Dr. Adekunle, introduced the concept and shared his extensive research, including a detailed post titled Part II: Single Origin Coffee.

What I hadn't done, until now, was experience it for myself. 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

A single origin coffee is from a coffee bean which is grown and harvested from a specific location (Adekunle). Single origin is “related to geographical indications," meaning the coffee's identity is closely tied to the place where it is grown and produced (Adekunle). Drinking it brings out the distinct flavours of its region (Business Insider). Learning this changed the way I looked at coffee.

My journey began at Deewan Coffee House, a popular café in Brampton. Before visiting, I explored their website and learned that they serve single origin Yemeni coffee, making it the perfect place to begin learning more.


Photos taken from the interior of the busy Deewan Coffee House, showcasing flags, large windows, and lighting. As stated on their website, it's designed around a “bohemian concept”




During my visit, I decided to try both the Mofawar and the Iced Deewan Latte.



Mofawar, a medium roast coffee with cardamom, enriched with creamy evaporated milk

                                 

Iced Deewan Latte


The Mofawar was unlike any coffee I had tried before. Its warm spices, including cardamom, gave it a unique aroma and flavour. These warm spices reminded me of the flavours found in Punjabi/Indian tea, something I grew up with but never expected to find in a cup of coffee. The Iced Deewan Latte felt refreshing and creamy, with subtle flavours of cardamom that weren’t overwhelming.

Before this experience, I assumed the coffee would taste bitter. However, as Dr. Adekunle shared, "Coffee does not necessarily need to be bitter” and that its taste depends on factors like variety, where it is grown, climate.”

Although Deewan states that its coffee is sourced from Yemen, I wanted to know the specific region. I reached out to the café hoping to learn more, but I hadn't received a reply. This experience reminded me that learning about coffee is an ongoing journey.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thinking about what I had learned also made me reflect on my next visit to Biscotteria Forno Cultura inside Toronto's Union Station.


 Exterior of Biscotteria


 Interior of Biscotteria


I asked about their single origin coffees. The barista informed me about their Brazilian single origin coffee. At the time, I didn't think to question that.

coffee along with the front and back package of the Brazil Forno Cultura Espresso


As I took my first sip, I noticed a roasted aroma and a smooth texture. Although it was bitter for my personal taste, the experience itself stayed with me far more than the flavour. It reminded me that it's also about the journey behind the beans

Later, however, I noticed the packaging described the coffee as a "meticulously selected blend," despite the barista describing it as single origin. That left me a little confused. But it was a useful moment as it reminded me that origin labeling isn't always as straightforward as it looks.

Although the packaging raised questions about its origin, it also encouraged me to learn more about Brazil's important role in specialty coffee, like how consumption increased in [Brazil] because of the continuous evolvement of the different waves of coffee and the role of different Latin American countries in the promotion of single origin coffee” (Adekunle).

Photo of the specialty pour-over coffees showcasing single-origin offerings from Guatemala (Allen Melgar) and Kenya (Muinami), with information on the producer, varietal, processing method, and tasting notes. The detailed labeling illustrates the traceability and transparency associated with single-origin coffee. 

Finally, I researched Yazol Coffee in Scarborough, an Ethiopian coffee shop owned by my friend, Lina and her family (a student at TMU). Although I have not yet visited the café, I was interested in learning about their focus on Ethiopian coffee traditions and single origin. Yazol, as she explains, means “hey friend”

Ethiopia is widely recognized as the birthplace of coffee, and Yazol celebrates this heritage. Lina explains further that coffee is a source of community, not just a commodity to drink. I found that to be an amazing understanding.

As Lina explains, they use Ethiopian, dark roast coffee, which has citrus and a dark chocolate taste. And as listed on their website, “Our coffee beans are sourced directly from Ethiopian highlands, bringing you the authentic taste of where coffee was born” (Yazol Coffee).

Reading about Ethiopian coffee ceremonies reminded me that coffee is much more than a beverage. Learning about another coffee-producing region reinforced the idea that every single origin offers its own unique experience.

Dr. Adekunle also similarly describes experiencing freshly roasted Ethiopian coffee, where guests were encouraged to appreciate the aroma because, according to Ethiopian culture, it is believed to bring blessings.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

What these experiences taught me was that single-origin coffee is more than just a drink. It reflects the geography of a country, the dedication of farmers, or traditions that have been passed down for generations.

Many people in the specialty coffee industry are working toward "more transparency, better pay for producers, and more access to research and best practices (Business Insider). Learning this gave me a greater appreciation for the effort that goes into producing quality coffee.

Deewan showed me that understanding coffee begins with curiosity about its origin. Whereas Biscotteria Forno Cultura reminded me that origin information is not always as straightforward as they appear. Yazol showed me how a coffee's place of origin shapes its traditions and identity.

The next time I visit a café, I know I will be curious about where the beans came from, how they were grown, and the story they narrate. I now realize that every cup has a story worth discovering.

Reading about single origin coffee helped me understand the concept but tasting it gave that knowledge a meaning.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thank you for reading!

Bibliography

Adekunle, B. 2025. Food Authenticity. ECV Ontario. https://evcontario2011.blogspot.com/2025/05/food-authenticity.html

Adekunle, B. 2025. Part I: Understanding Coffee. Substack. https://bamideleadekunle.substack.com/p/part-i-understanding-coffee

Adekunle, B. 2025. Part II: Understanding Coffee. Substack. https://bamideleadekunle.substack.com/p/part-ii-single-origin-coffee

Business Insider. 2023. Why Single-Origin Coffee Is So Expensive. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmpnrtey3YU

Deewan Coffee House. n.d. Deewan Coffee House. https://deewancoffeehouse.com/

Forno Cultura. n.d. Forno Cultura. https://www.fornocultura.com/

Yazol Coffee. n.d. Yazol Coffee. https://www.yazolcoffee.com/

 

Harmisr Dhillon | TMU Student | IRG Intern












No comments:

Post a Comment